FLORIDA AUTO EXCHANGE STADIUM
Considering the Toronto Blue Jays have now been around for 25 years, it's fairly remarkable that the team has had only one spring-training site in team history: Grant Park in Dunedin. The Blue Jays began life on March 11, 1977, when the team beat the New York Mets 3-1. At that time the Blue Jays played in 3,417-seat Grant Field, which was one of the oldest stadiums used in the Grapefruit League, dating back to 1930. It was named for a former mayor of Dunedin, who had donated the land for the stadium.
|Tributes to Blue Jays stars of the past are located behind the grandstand.|
There's a little bit of Canada down on the Florida coast: both the Canadian and American national anthems are sung before the game, and Labatt Blue is on tap.
In 2002 Dunedin spent $12 million on a new spring-training complex for the Blue Jays, which include new training facilities, offices, new hitting cages, and five full fields at the Cecil P. Englebert Recreational Complex. As a result, the Blue Jays signed a 15-year lease to stay in Dunedin, as well as committing the Dunedin Blue Jays (Class A; Florida State League) to the ballpark as well.
The seating area is bisected by a walkway. Box seats are on the field side of the walkway, while bleachers are on the other side.
Spring Training History
The Toronto Blue Jays have been training at this site since 1977, first at Grant Field and then at Dunedin Stadium.
To receive spring-training news and schedule updates via email, please sign up for the Spring Training Online email newsletter.